Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2023 10:27 pm  #1

2023 French Open contest

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and 20 points for each correct champion.

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw.

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lost and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

Picks must be posted by the time play begins or soon afterwards.  The Sunday start is causing me to swear as I post this.

5/27/2023 10:36 pm  #2

Re: 2023 French Open contest

I apologize, my picks are boring.

Men

Quarterfinals
Alcaraz v. Tsitsipas
Djokovic v. Rublev
Rune v. Ruud
Zverev v. Medvedev (Thiem)

Semifinals
Alcaraz v. Djokovic
Rune v. Zverev

Final
Alcaraz v. Zverev

Champion
Zverev

BL: Tiafoe

Women

Quarterfinals
Swiatek (Krejcikova) v. Gauff
Rybakina v. Jabeur
Bencic v. Pegula
Ostapenko v. Sabalenka

Semifinals
Swiatek v. Rybakina
Bencic v. Sabalenka

Final
Swiatek v. Sabalenka

Champion
Swiatek

BL: Gauff

5/29/2023 8:03 am  #3

I have been super busy. I know the results from the first day and early today but promise Auger-Aliasime, who is down two sets and a break to Fognini, was going to be my biggest loser anyway. I'm also sticking with Sakkari in the quarters even though she lost yesterday because she would have been my pick. 

I think this will be a formful tournament, so my picks are conservative, too.

MEN

Quarterfinals

Alcaraz over Tsitsipas
Djokovic over Rublev
Rune over Ruud
Medvedev over Karatsev (Sinner)

Semifinals

Alcaraz over Djokovic
Rune over Medvedev

Final

Alcaraz over Rune 6-3, 3-6, 5-7, 7-6, 6-1

BL: Auger Aliassime

WOMEN

Quarterfinals

Swiatek (Krejcikova) over Kudermetova
Rybakina over Cirstea
Pegula over Sakkari
Sabalenka over Ostapenko

Semifinals

Swiatek over Rybakina
Sabalenka over Pegula

Final

Swiatek over Sabalenka 6-2, 3-6, 6-3

BL: Jabeur

6/07/2023 5:53 am  #4

Here's an Tuesday morning update on standings.

I successfully picked 10 Quarterfinalists (6 men, 4 women) while you picked 7 (5 men, 2 women).  You have picked up 2 BL points for your Auger Aliassime pick, which would have given you 5 had Medvedev not crashed out in the first round.  Neither of us were good at picking the women's biggest loser (Sakkari), as both of our choices made it to the quarterfinals.

My Zverev pick is looking really good, and I am unsure that Rune will be able to give Ruud much of a fight if he hasn't completely recovered from his 4th round match.

I am continually surprised at commentators saying that players like Rybakina and Sabalenka have games unsuited for clay when Sharapova showed that if you hit the ball hard and flat, you can win on clay.

6/09/2023 3:31 pm  #5

Congrats on the win. I might have been anle to overtake you if Alcaraz had won the tournament, but I am happy he lost anyway.

6/10/2023 5:23 pm  #6

Thank you, but I feel kind of bad that I won this way.  I knew that one of two results would give me the win, but I was hoping that it would be Zverev winning.

Board footera