Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2018 5:37 am  #1

The new generation of ATP players

With Khachanov winning his first Master's tournament, there are now 2 under 25 players who have won Master's; Zverev being the other (he has won 3).

Is a generational change happening and just skipping over the aged 25-30 crowd?  Cilic and Del Potro have won slams, but they have not shown the consistent excellence that Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray have.  Despite a lot of hype for Thiem as the next big thing on clay courts, he hasn't won a Master's on the surface, but he did make the final of the French Open.

I've thought that the commentators have been a little harsh on Zverev's slam results, maybe with Khachanov being more prominent, it will take off some of the pressure.

12/10/2018 9:51 pm  #2

Re: The new generation of ATP players

Of course, Zverev made sure that all the pressure is going to be on him.  Let's see what happens in Australia.

11/29/2021 7:25 pm  #3

I can't tell whether there is an actual similarity or that my mind is just playing tricks on me, but seeing Zverev play makes me think of him as the male Sharapova.  I think it has to do with his ball toss and serve.

11/28/2022 11:30 am  #4

With the discussion about Holger Rune's attitude and his wearing a baseball cap backwards, I'm left wondering whether he is his generation's Lleyton Hewitt.  Alvarez has a more complete game, but Rune seems to have that scrappy attitude.

5/16/2023 11:47 am  #5

What are Rune's sponsors thinking with his outfit?  He's very close to blending into the clay with it.

Board footera