Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2015 12:16 am  #11

Re: US Open contes 2015: Will Serena Slam or get Slammed?

I'm half joking, but Pennetta reaching the quarterfinals was a slam dunk. She's now done it in six of her last seven U.S. Open apperances, which is extraordinary. Clearly she's benefitted from fortuitous draws since I believe she never once was seeded in the top eight, but it's still an incredibly rare accomplishment. 

How rare? I just looked it up, and the only two active WTA players who have gotten to the quarters or better of the same slam in at least six out of seven appearances at any time in their career are Serena and Venus. Sharapova's never done it, nor has anyone else. 

This time, Pennetta has a shot to reach the final. She can beat Kvitova if Kvitova is slightly off, although Kvitova goes in as the favorite. She can beat the winner of Halep-Azarenka, too. Halep will be physically spent if she gets past Azarenka, and Pennetta actually routined Halep at the U.S. Open two years ago. Azarenka has established a pattern all year of looking like she's back to peak form, then throwing in a clunker, and she definitely is not moving as well as she did pre-injury. 

Last edited by funches (9/08/2015 12:16 am)

9/10/2015 5:28 am  #12

She beat Kvitova, so you may be on to something.  Halep-Azarenka went 3 sets; Azarenka showed a lot of promise at the tournament and then crapped out.

Do you think Cilic has a chance to upset Djokovic?  I want to say no, but I'm not sure at this point.

Other than chip and charge, something about Federer's coming in on second serves reminded me of something.  I watched some clips of tennis and realized that it made me think of Bartoli and her returns.

9/10/2015 8:52 am  #13

Actually, I take it back. The Halep who showed up against Azarenka yesterday will not lose tonight to Pennetta. That's the grand-slam winning Halep (though probably not this one with Serena in the way) --40 winners and 19 errors and focused on every point. 

Pennetta might break her serve a few times because her backhand return is very good, but this match will be one-way traffic. Halep almost choked away her match with Lisicki in the 4th round, but players who cannot overpower her cannot beat her when she's motivated.

9/12/2015 9:56 am  #14

Maybe you should take away 3 points from me for being so far wrong on some of my posts since the start of the tournament. 

9/16/2015 6:22 pm  #15

Sorry for the delay in the results.

funches: 92
Forehand_lob: 65

When I made my picks, I choked like Serena in the semis!

9/21/2015 12:51 pm  #16

When the women's draw came out and Sharapova withdrew, I felt like I had a good read on it. I would have entered the Tennis Channel's racquet bracket contest for the WTA if I had had working Internet the night before the U.S. Open started because I loved Halep's draw to the final. Glad I didn't enter, though, because I would have been even more pissed when she lost in the semifs than I was already. 

Good for Pennetta, though, who's always been a player I liked. It's hard to call her a deserving slam winner, but she's been a top-10 caliber player for a long time who was not willing to put in the consistent commitment to get there. She was infinitely more deserving of a slam than Vinci, and I'm glad I looked up that stat about her reaching six of seven U.S. Open quarters and no other active player besides the Williams' sisters ever doing it. At the time, I had no idea Pennetta would win the tournament. 

Board footera