Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2024 9:47 am  #1

French Open contest 2024

I remembered to get this up before the Sunday start of play!

The Switek on clay clause is in effect; she's only half points as champion.

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and 20 points for each correct champion. Djokovic has been so dominant that you will get only 10 points for him. Everyone else gets you 20 points.

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw.

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lost and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

Picks must be posted by the time play begins or soon afterwards.  There's flexibility due to the Sunday start.

5/25/2024 9:48 am  #2

Re: French Open contest 2024

Here are my unimaginative picks.

Men

Quarterfinals

Djokovic v. Ruud
Zverev v. Medvedev
Rublev (Tsisipas) v. Alcaraz
Hurkacz v. Sinner

Semifinals

Ruud v. Zverev
Rublev v. Sinner

Final

Zverev d. Sinner

BL: Zverev (just in case, it's Nadal at Roland Garros)

Women

Quarterfinals

Swiatek v. Collins
Gauff v. Ostapenko
Paolini v. Rybakina (Kerber)
Kasatkina v. Sabalenka

Semifinals

Swiatek v. Ostapenko
Rybakina v. Sabalenka

Final

Swiatek d. Rybakina

BL: Zheng (I think Cornet is going to manage some drama in her last Roland Garros)

5/26/2024 12:58 am  #3

ATP

Quarterfinals

Ruud over Djokovic
Zverev over Struff
Alcaraz over Rublev (Tsitsipas)
Sinner over Tabilo

Semifinals

Ruud over Zverev
Alcaraz over Sinner

Final

Ruud over Alcaraz 6-4, 1-6, 7-6, 6-1

BL: Medvedev

WTA

Quarterfinals

Swiatek over Collins
Gauff over Ostapenko
Zheng over Rybakina
Sabalenka (Keys) over Andreeva

Semifinals

Swiatek over Gauff
Sabalenka over Zheng

Final

Swiatek over Sabalenka 6-4, 6-4

BL: Kasatkina

6/06/2024 4:54 pm  #4

We are very even this contest, each have 11 quarterfinalists (6 men and 5 women each, the difference is I picked Paolini and you picked Andreeva).  I have 5 semifinalists to your 6 (I shouldn't have picked Rublev over Alcaraz, but I thought he was hurt).  Each of us picked Swiatek in the final and as the probable champion.

If Alcaraz and Zverev are the men's finalists, then it comes down to the winner of the championship match.  If it's Ruud and Alcaraz, you'll win.  If it's Zverev and Sinner, I'll win.

The biggest losers were Jarry (1st round) and Sakkari (1st round).  Maia and Alexandrova also lost in the first round.

6/08/2024 7:11 am  #5

It's all on the men's final now!  If Zverev wins his first slam, I'll win.  If Alcaraz gets the third of his slam set, you'll win, and Alcaraz will be focusing more on the AO to get all 4.

6/19/2024 5:22 pm  #6

Alcaraz won, so congratulations, funches!

Had either Zverev or Ruud won, I think we would have had a decent chance of winning against a full group of competitors back in the earlier days of the contest.

6/28/2024 11:27 pm  #7

Agreed. I got a little lucky with Alcaraz winning the back-to-back five-setters.

Board footera