Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2021 9:52 am  #1

US Open contest 2021

You know the drill.

8/29/2021 10:48 pm  #2

Re: US Open contest 2021

Women

Barty v. Bencic
Pliskova v. Sakkari
Svitolina v. Kerber (Osaka)
Krejcikova v. Sabalenka

Barty v. Pliskova
Kerber v. Sabalenka

Barty d. Kerber

BL: Andresscu

Men

Djokovic v. Hurkacz
Zverev v. Korda
Rublev v. Humbert
Schwartzman (Ruud) v. Medvedev

Djokovic v. Zverev
Rublev v. Medvedev

Zverev d. Medvedev

BL: Tsitsipas

8/30/2021 12:23 am  #3

MEN

Quarterfinals

Djokovic over Ivashka (Berrettini)
Zverev over Khachanov
Tsitsipas over Rublev
Medvedev over Schwartzman

Semis

Djokovic over Zverev
Medvedev over Tsitsipas

Final

Djokovic over Medvedev 6-4, 6-7, 6-4, 6-1

BL: de Minaur

WOMEN

Quarterfinals 

Barty over Bencic (Pegula)
Pliskova over Sakkari 
Osaka over Halep
Krejcikova over Sabalenka

Semifinals

Barty over Pliskova
Krejcikova over Osaka 

Final

Barty over Krejcikova 7-5, 6-3

BL: Brady 

8/30/2021 12:26 am  #4

You have an excellent chance to win this time. 

Zverev played at a higher level in the Olympics and Cincinnati than Djokovic did in winning the first three slams. If he can replicate that form at a slam for the first time--a big if--the people who think this is all in Djokovic's hands will be proven wrong. I'm betting his game will drop and the double faults will return, but it's not certain by any means. 

However, I don't take Kerber seriously on a hard court anymore. I hope I'm wrong because I love her game, but I would not be shocked if she loses in the first round to Yastremska, who hits a huge ball but usually gets flustered and falls apart. Yastremska might get too big a lead to get flustered this time. And even if Kerber wins that one, I don't see her getting past the third round. 

Last edited by funches (8/30/2021 12:29 am)

9/10/2021 11:14 am  #5

Today's matches will determine the winner.

We have the same number of quarterfinalists (you have 5 women and 4 men to my 6 women and 3 men), I have one more semifinalist (Sabalenka), and you have 2 points for de Minaur as the biggest loser (PCB was the biggest loser on the men's side while Barty was on the women's side).  It all comes down to the Djokovic v. Zverev match.  Zverev was not good against Harris, so we'll see if he plays well today.

10/06/2021 4:24 pm  #6

You again proved to be the Hingis to my Kournikova.  Though I can take some consolation in fact that Medvedev won.  While I acknowledge Djokovic's greatness, I have just never warmed to him as a player.

That said, it was a wild, wild tournament on the women's side.  Who had Raducanu d. Fernandez in their bracket?  Not even di-10s, I would say.

Board footera