Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2013 7:51 pm  #1

2013 Australian Open contest: Serena takes Sydney?

Kicking off the contest on the new board!

THE RULES

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists, finalists, and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and finalist, and 20 points for each correct champion. (The "I Have Monogrammed Shorts" rule is in effect; picking Djokovic as champ will only get you 10 points if he wins).

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lose and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

BONUS PICKS

1. YOU CAN DO IT SAM: Which round will Sam Stosur make before she loses? Pick the correct choice and you will get 2 bonus points.

EXTRAS

***Unseeded quarterfinalists are worth an extra half point for every seed they take out en route.

***WTF bonus: if you have a pick that makes it to the quarterfinals that no one else made (not even as a substitute pick), you'll gain an extra 5 points for it.

1/11/2013 9:21 am  #2

Re: 2013 Australian Open contest: Serena takes Sydney?

1/13/2013 1:36 am  #3

I'm pretty much going with chalk across the board. How boring. But it says something about the lack of depth at the top on both sides. 

ATP

Quarterfinals

Djokovic over Berdych
Ferrer over Almagro
Murray over Del Potro
Federer over Tsonga (sub: Gasquet)

Semifinals

Djokovic over Ferrer
Murray over Federer

Final

Djokovic over Murray 2-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-1

BL: Tipsarevic

WTA

Quarterfinals

Azarenka over Errani
Serena over Stephens (sub: Petrova)
Radwanska over Li 
Sharapova over Kerber

Semifinals

Serena over Azarenka
Sharapova over Radwanska

Final

Serena over Sharapova 6-0, 6-4

BL: Stosur
YCDIS: first round

1/13/2013 7:34 pm  #4

Men

Quarterfinals
Djokovic v. Berdych
Ferrer (Nishikori) v. Janowicz
Del Potro v. Murray
Tsonga v. Federer

Semis
Djokovic v. Ferrer
Murray v. Federer

Final
Djokovic v. Federer

Champion
Djokovic

BL: Tisparevic

Women

Quarterfinals
Azarenka v. Lisicki
Serena v. Petrova
Na Li v. Ivanovic
Kerber v. Sharapova (Venus)

Semis
Azarenka v. Serena
Na Li v. Sharapova

Final
Serena v. Na Li

Champion
Na Li

BL: Wozniacki
Stosur: 4th round

1/14/2013 10:55 pm  #5

My sorry record for picking the biggest loser continues. Amazing that I never, ever get one of these right. Stosur,  who had lost to her opponent late last year and came in with zero confidence, wins in straights. Tipsarevic is two points away from losing in the first and second set to an in-form Hewitt but just plays too well in the clutch and has too much firepower. That actually was a heck of a match even though it finished in 3. 

1/16/2013 9:21 am  #6

Well, my Petrova and Lisicki picks are out already.  I really did think that if Stosur could get past the first round, she'd loosen up.  Looks like I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

1/17/2013 4:02 pm  #7

I am shocked that people think that Venus is going to give Sharapova a really good match and upset her.  Worst of all are the people who claim that since Venus beat her at both previous matches in a Slam then she's got the edge in a Slam.  Of course, these are the same people who point to Serena's edge over Clijsters of 9-2 to show that she wasn't troubled by her, ignoring the fact that they played once after 2003 (Serena's loss at the 2009 US Open).

1/18/2013 1:28 pm  #8

Yep, anyone with any sense knew Sharapova was going to administer the beat-down. 

I also laughed when Darren Cahill picked Baghdatis to beat Ferrer. With Blake losing in qualifying, the Bagman is my default favorite (non-Federer) player in the draw, and I KNEW he had no chance against Ferrer. He went five sets against an obscure Spanish clay-courter in the first round, and Ferrer has become a terrific player. I enjoy watching him play as much as anyone on tour now, something I could not have imagined about five years ago. I wonder if Baghdatis is an Adidas guy. Cahill always goes out of his way to boost fellow Adidas people. 

I've never gotten all eight quarterfinals right for the men or the women, but I have a shot with the men this time. It depends on Almagro beating Tipsarevic in a toss-up match. The other seven are virtual locks. 

Last edited by funches (1/18/2013 1:28 pm)

1/18/2013 5:55 pm  #9

Baggy was playing reasonably well in the lead up tournaments, making the semis in Brisbane.  Still, I think everyone knew that he'd do well for a couple rounds and then lose against the first high quality player.

I caught the part of the Keys v. Kerber match until the rain delay.  To be charitable, Keys is a work in progress.  But if one of her main weapons is her serve and she served under 50% in the first set, then it's more a wonder that Kerber didn't bagel her.

I think that Ivanovic might have an outside chance at upsetting Radwanska.  She hasn't beat her since 2008, but her head is better on than it has been since the 2008 French Open.

After I stop picking Wickmayer to do anything, she makes it to the 3rd round and has a winnable match against Kirilenko.  I'm liking Kuzy to make it to the QFs against Azarenka, and then who knows?  Her beating Azarenka and Serena back to back isn't out of the question for her.

1/20/2013 1:27 am  #10

Forehand_lob wrote:

I'm liking Kuzy to make it to the QFs against Azarenka, and then who knows? Her beating Azarenka and Serena back to back isn't out of the question for her.

Yes it is. She would have lost 2 and 2 to this Serena at the U.S. Open she won. 

Board footera