Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2012 2:02 pm  #1

Ranking points discussion

There will be a long and detailed thread about ranking points.  You didn't think I was going to give that up, did you?

12/11/2012 12:56 pm  #2

Re: Ranking points discussion

Looking at the WTA, the top 4 are set for the foreseeable future; I don't believe Kerber can overtake Radwanska for at least the first few months (the WTA site was relaunched, so it doesn't have things like point totals for the Australian Open).

If Serena is playing well (by which I mean she wins the Australian Open), she should become #1 again and probably add another couple dozen weeks at it to up her total to around 150 weeks at #1.  On the other hand, if Serena falls and Sharapova plays against Azarenka like she did at the end of the year, she can retake the #1 spot.

12/17/2012 7:18 pm  #3

Re: Ranking points discussion

So, I saw people saying that the Slams should count more and that players shouldn't be able to be ranked above other players if they earned more points at the Slams than they did (i.e. "I want Serena to be #1).

So, let's look at the facts!  Pesky things that they are.

Azarenka and Sharapova both had a slam win, a runner up, a semis, and a 4th round exit.  That results in 4580 points.

Serena had two slam wins, a 4th round exit, and a 1st round exit.  That results in 4285 points.

Pesky facts.

Board footera