Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2016 7:35 am  #1

Sharapova

I feel we should have a topic on the recent failed drug test.

I have become a Sharapova admirer over the last few years because she wants to win, and the WTA (excepting Serena) was made up of terrible chokers.  Add in the retirement of Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo, and Bartoli, and I could at least count on Sharapova to try hard.  So, I am disappointed in her.  Unless they give her a slap on the wrist punishment (in the range of 6 months), I think she's done and her career is over.

4/21/2016 11:36 am  #2

Re: Sharapova

Looks like she is going to get a reprieve. 

I do not like Sharapova, and the players' cold reaction to her since the suspension is telling, but all your points are accurate. I hope the suspension is lifted. 

Last edited by funches (4/21/2016 11:36 am)

6/19/2016 7:29 am  #3

I have to admit, I'm kind of nonplussed about the 2 year suspension.  The length of it seems odd given the shorter suspensions that Cilic and Gasquet received.  Hingis had a 2 year suspension as well.

Is there a gender issue at the ITF?  I'm finding it difficult to think otherwise.

5/15/2017 5:28 am  #4

So, she's back and had reasonable success at Stuttgart and did poorly at Madrid.  I think she'll need to do well at Rome (quarterfinals or better) to get an idea of which Sharapova is back, the one that played top tennis in 2012-2014, or the one that was okay after she returned from shoulder surgery in 2008/9.

6/08/2017 11:37 am  #5

I don't see Sharapova being back to that level any time soon. 

She is not naturally gifted like Clijsters. I think it will take her some time to get the confidence and timing back. The fact that she was the betting favorite to win Roland Garros before not getting a wild card was ridiculous. 

8/23/2017 3:05 pm  #6

Well, she's got a wild card to the US Open, but who knows whether she will really play or not.

Board footera