Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2017 5:34 am  #1

Clay season 2017

At this point, I'm not seeing anyone stop Nadal from picking up his 10th French Open.  Murray is not playing like a #1 player (maybe around #5) and Djokovic does not have his game back yet.

I thought Thiem looked sloppy with a bunch of errors in the Madrid semis, but he played very well in the final.  Against anyone else in the tournament but an in-form Rafa, I think he would have won.  He probably needs to at least equal his semifinal at the French Open, but I'm not sure if he beats Djokovic or Nadal if he's in their quarters.

5/19/2017 10:00 am  #2

Re: Clay season 2017

Thiem is the only player other than Djokovic who can go toe to toe with Nadal on clay in Rafa's entire career. 

Whether he beats him is another story, but he is not overmatched during points. Everyone else has been overmatched. 

5/19/2017 10:02 am  #3

Thiem, Zverev and Krygios are the most talented young players who have come along in a decade. 

For the first time, there are guy who look like they can be grand slam winners when they mature rather than flawed talents like Raonic, Nishikori or anyone else from the generation after the big four. 

5/19/2017 10:07 am  #4

Although I can't watch her play since I don't have BeInSports, Halep appears finally to have regained her 2014 clay form, when I picked her to win Roland Garros after watching her in action in the month before it started. Back then, she was mentally strong and dominated the third set against players, even after losing tough second sets. Since then, she has been mentally weak, collapsing at the first sign of problems. 

We'll see how she handles being the favorite at Roland Garros, but if she maintains her present mindset, she will put herself in excellent position to win it. She'll always be susceptible to an in-form power player, but they'll have to play about as well as Sharapova did in the 2014 Roland Garros final (one of the best match I've ever seen her play) to beat her. 

Last edited by funches (5/19/2017 10:08 am)

5/22/2017 5:49 am  #5

Unfortunately, Halep rolled her ankle in Rome, so I'm a bit down on her chances at Roland Garros.

I wasn't expecting Thiem's collapse against Djokovic or Zverev beating Djokovic in the final.

I'm thinking that Djokovic also has the issue that Federer ran into a few years ago: as he's gotten older, he can't maintain his level of play to be as high as it has been.  And I think Djokovic's style of play makes that a bit more of an issue than it was for Federer.

Top 5 men's prospects for the French Open (from highest to lowest):

Nadal - still have to give the top spot to Nadal
Thiem - second best on clay this season
Djokovic - defending champ looks to be getting over his slump and the extra days of rest should help
A. Zverev - arguably should be above, but has the second best clay results so far
(large gap here)
Albert Ramos-Vinolas - was the Monte Carlo final a fluke?  Probably, but no one else really comes to mind.

5/23/2017 11:54 am  #6

I'm not too worried about Halep's ankle unless she's worried about it. It gave her an excuse to stop playing hard. I think her brain gets fried if she competes well in every match for two straight events. 

Thiem had to save three match points against Querrey, who was playing well but is still an American on clay, before he beat Rafa and got blasted by Djokovic. I don't like the way Thiem competes when he feels he is overmatched, but I felt the same way about del Potro and Wawrinka before they broke through in slams. 

Your list of top contenders is good. I would put Djokovic ahead of Thiem, but he definitely has not proven he can do it this year. Zverev, until Rome, simply was not as good as he was touted. Don't get me wrong. Doing what he was doing at age 20 meant he was a potential future No. 1 and certainly bound for greatness, but he  was not there yet, even in the Aussie Open match against Nadal that everyone incorrectly assumes he would have won if he had not cramped. He would go in and out of matches and play very passively at times. 

But from the Fognini match on, he was terrific in Rome, taking the racket out of the hand of his opponents and also displaying excellent defense when he needed it. If that Zverev shows up in Paris, he can win it, but I think he's still too young to hold it together mentally and physically over a series of best-of-five matches. 

I would substitute Wawrinka for Ramos-Vinolas. I don't give Wawrinka a shot in Paris, but I've been wrong about him in the past when he was showing indifferent form in lead-up tournaments. If anyone other than Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem, Zverev or Warinka won Roland Garros, it would be one of the biggest surprises to me in the history of tennis. 

Board footera