Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2016 7:27 pm  #1

2016 French Open contest

THE RULES

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists, finalists, and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and finalist, and 20 points for each correct champion.  Djokovic and Serena are only worth 10 points.

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lose and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

EXTRAS

***Unseeded quarterfinalists are worth an extra half point for every seed they take out en route.

***WTF bonus: if you have a pick that makes it to the quarterfinals that no one else made (not even as a substitute pick), you'll gain an extra 5 points for it.  WTFs only valid if we have more than 2 entries.

5/21/2016 7:38 pm  #2

Re: 2016 French Open contest

Men

QF
Djokovic v. Ferrer
Nadal (Thiem) v. Goffin
Cilic v. Wawrinka
Nishikori v. Murray

SF
Djokovic v. Nadal
Wawrinka v. Murray

F
Nadal d. Murray

Biggest Loser: Berdych

Women

QF
Serena v. Azarenka
Kerber v. Bacsinszky
Vinci v. Kuznetsova
Halep v. Radwanska (Errani)

SF
Serena v. Kerber
Kuznetsova v. Radwanska

F
Kerber d. Radwanska

Biggest Loser: Venus

5/22/2016 12:59 am  #3

Unlike at the Australian Open, I like my picks, which may or may not be a good thing. With the women, we're essentially throwing darts, so having confidence is probably a sign of delusion. 

ATP 

Quarterfinals 

Djokovic over Ferrer 
Nadal (Thiem) over Goffin
Wawrinka over Raonic
Murray over Nishikori

Semifinals

Djokovic over Nadal
Murray over Wawrinka

Final

Djokovic over Murray 7-5, 6-4, 6-1

Biggest loser: Gasquet 

WTA

Quarterfinals

Serena over Azarenka
Kerber (Keys) over Siegemund
Begu over Muguruza
Halep over Radwanska

Semifinals

Serena over Kerber
Halep over Begu

Final

Serena over Halep 7-5, 6-3

Biggest Loser: I'd like to pick Halep to cover myself since I have no real confidence in her, but I don't do that. I'll go with Errani and hope there aren't bigger upsets in the first round. 

Last edited by funches (5/22/2016 12:59 am)

5/28/2016 7:40 am  #4

With my picks having failed so early, I almost feel I should concede this contest to you right now.

What do you make of Nadal withdrawing?  Is it time to say that he realistically won't win another slam?

6/02/2016 10:29 pm  #5

If Djokovic chokes/Thiem plays out of his mind, I can win this contest.

Kerber's first round loss to Bertens doesn't look so bad now that she made it to the semis.

6/03/2016 7:25 am  #6

Yep. Bertens has been terrific in backing up that win. No reason she can't be a top 10 player.

My guess is Nadal won't win another slam. It would have been interesting to see him play Djokovic here because the Djoker is the only player who could have beaten him the way he was playing.

6/19/2016 7:24 am  #7

Final standings are very late, but they're here!

funches 102.5
Forehand_lob 82.5

It was a little closer than I thought it would be; you had Muguruza (a much better pick) and I had Bacsinzky.  We both had all 4 men's semifinalists correct, which I think is a first.

See you in a week for Wimbledon!

Board footera