Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2013 8:43 am  #1

The Sloane Ranger

You heard that nickname here first!

While I have decided against going to the Citi Open (short answer, the heat is killing me so sitting out in the nosebleed seats isn't that attractive an option), I was thinking it would be an opportunity to see Sloane Stephens.  Of course, she got bounced in the first round.  Looking back at what I said when I saw her play doubles, I described her as a work in progress.  I guess that's still the case.

And, really, the court is one of the fastest out there.  It really should have rewarded her style of play, so I'm a little mystified at her loss.

6/30/2015 10:41 pm  #2

Re: The Sloane Ranger

It's amazing that Stephens still never has reached the final of a WTA event. I mean, Oudin has won a WTA event. 

But Nick Saviano clearly is a heck of coach.  Bouchard was amazing under him and Stephens is playing the best tennis of her career right now with him in her box after she wandered in the wilderness the past two years. 

I see no reason why Stephens won't make the semis at Wimbledon. All she has to do is get out of her own way. 

Last edited by funches (6/30/2015 10:43 pm)

8/10/2015 5:29 am  #3

Re: The Sloane Ranger

Stephens won her first title at the Citi Open.  Now that she's done that, I wonder if she'll play a bit more freely.

It should be noted that the Citi Open traditionally has a weaker field, since the women's tournament in Stanford draws the bigger names.  Still, a title's a title.

I should also note that the players who do well at the Citi Open have not done that well at the US Open.  Maybe this year will be different.

Board footera