Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2015 8:01 am  #11

Re: Wimbledon 2015

I, too, thought Brown would beat Nadal (that Halle match was last year), but I also think Brown will beat Troicki, who is gassed from too many matches on grass. Brown also beat Lu in four sets in the first round, and that's a guy he would not have beaten if he were not playing at a career high. 

Pospisil-Brown would be too close to call. Pospisil has the huge serve, so Brown would not be able to play a horrid game on his own serve and get away with it, but Pospisil also is a world-class choker. 

Last edited by funches (7/03/2015 8:02 am)

7/05/2015 6:51 am  #12

I guess I'm a little surprised that Pospisil needed 5 sets to beat Ward.

If I had to diagnose Pospisil's biggest issues, it would be a lack of consistency and the tendency to play like he's 6 inches shorter than he is.

EDIT: I'm also going to say that given the presence of Raonic and Bouchard, it's surprising to see Pospisil as the last Canadian singles player.  It's more surprising to see Denis Kudla as the only American man in singles, though.

Last edited by Forehand_lob (7/05/2015 10:04 am)

7/06/2015 11:04 am  #13

With the Women's 4th round completed, I have jumped out to a lead with 4 correct quarterfinalists to your 2.  And to call back a time on the Tennis-x board, fuck Uncle Kiki, Coco Vandeweghe is in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon.

We both have 6 potential quarterfinalists for the men.  Neither of us saw Gasquet making it this far (the farthest since his semifinals in 2007).  Pospisil would have garnered me WTF points in the old days, but I'm kind of surprised he's made it through 3 5-set matches.

7/07/2015 12:14 pm  #14

We each managed 5 men's quarterfinalists (Berdych was our 6th, but he crapped out).  You had Cilic, I had Pospisil.

Let me keep a running total of the points rather than trying to do it all at the end.

Standings (as of the end of the round of 16, not quarterfinals as I said earlier):
Forehand_lob: 71.5
funches: 57.5

Last edited by Forehand_lob (7/08/2015 2:53 pm)

7/08/2015 2:59 pm  #15

Who'd have thought that Gasquet would beat Wawrinka?  Not me.  I was still expecting him to lose from 9-9 on.

Standings (with the quarterfinals completed):
Forehand_lob: 97.5
funches: 72.5

I picked up two correct women's semifinalists (Serena and Sharapova) while you had none.  We both had Djokovic, Federer and Murray.  I also put in the extra point I got for Pospisil taking out 2 seeds on his way to the QFs.

While it may look like I have a good lead, I think it will depend in a large part on the result of the Federer v. Murray match.

7/10/2015 1:03 pm  #16

That's the best I've seen Federer play in a big match since the last time he played Murray at Wimbledon. He will beat Djokovic if he plays the same way.

By the way, congrats on the Pospisil pick. That's the definition of a good long shot pick--talented player with big serve and game made for grass.

If Serena had lost to Watson, which easily could have happened,I would be closer.

7/13/2015 11:45 am  #17

I'm sorry to say that I saw the result coming when Federer got broken when he was up 4-2 in the first set.

The final results are:

Forehand_lob: 107.5
funches: 97.5

Thanks for the kind words on the Pospisil pick.  I had the very weak section he was in to thank.

With the US Open coming up, I'm not sure whether Serena will Slam or get slammed.  I guess we'll find out soon!

Board footera