Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2017 9:54 pm  #1

Grass

If people thought the women's tournament was wide open at Roland Garros, Wimbledon will be even more unpredictable. 

Kvitova, who has the best game for grass of the entrants, is not healthy and is mentally weak even at her best,

Azarenka saved three match points against a random Japanese player today, never was great on grass and is beyond rusty. 

Halep struggled to hit winners on grass last year even as she made a nice run at Wimbledon

Your woman Kerber, usually terrific on grass, is struggling to win any matches.

Pliskova can win it but lacks the athletic explosion champions at Wimbledon usually possess. 

Svitolina I simply don't buy. 

Ostapenko has the game, but almost no one who wins a slam out of nowhere backs it up right away. And her serve is shaky. 

Venus made the final in Australia but didn't really beat anyone along the way. I can't remember the last time she won a big match against a top player at a slam, and her best days on grass appear well behind her.

Muguruza has not reached a final since winning Roland Garros last year and can lost to almost anyone on a bad day. 

I was pretty sure Halep would contend in Paris. There's not a player who is anything close to a lock for the quarters at Wimbledon.

Last edited by funches (6/21/2017 9:58 pm)

6/25/2017 9:50 am  #2

Re: Grass

I like how Kerber is now my woman.

You're forgetting Pironkova, who made the semis in 2010 and has a game that seems to work well on grass.  Her winning Wimbledon would be as much of a surprise as Ostapenko was winning the French Open.  Sure, she's currently ranked 126 and probably needs to qualify, but if she makes it, she's a dark horse.

6/25/2017 10:31 pm  #3

Good call on Pironkova, who tooled Venus twice at Wimbledon. She lost in qualifying for Eastbourne but is capable of winning big matches. 

We both have always liked Kerber. I remember we both were surprised when she lost to Radwanska in the Wimbledon semis several years ago even though Radwanska was consider the favorite. 

6/29/2017 9:11 pm  #4

I am still amazed by the out-of-nowhere respect Mladenovic is getting. Twice, I've read that Kvitova beating her last week was a clear sign Kvitova could Wimbledon. 

Huh? What in Mladenovic's history makes her a barometer of grand slam success? Kvitova certainly can win Wimbledon, but beating an erratic player who NEVER has gone past the quarters of any slam is a barometer of nothing. 

Last edited by funches (6/29/2017 9:11 pm)

Board footera