Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2015 8:18 am  #1

US Open contes 2015: Will Serena Slam or get Slammed?

Sorry for getting it up late.

THE RULES

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists, finalists, and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and finalist, and 20 points for each correct champion.

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lose and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

EXTRAS

***Unseeded quarterfinalists are worth an extra half point for every seed they take out en route.

***WTF bonus: if you have a pick that makes it to the quarterfinals that no one else made (not even as a substitute pick), you'll gain an extra 5 points for it.  If there are only two contestants, then the WTF bonus is not in effect.

8/30/2015 8:27 am  #2

Re: US Open contes 2015: Will Serena Slam or get Slammed?

Men

Quarterfinals
Djokovic v. Raonic
Nishikor v. Dimitrov
Wawrinka v. Murray (Kyrgios)
Tomic v. Federer

Semifinals
Djokovic v. Nishikori
Murray v. Federer

Final
Nishikori v. Federer

Champion
Federer

Biggest Loser: Murray (hedging my bets here)

Women (I have no idea here)

Quarterfinals
Serena v. Bencic
Makarova v. Carla Suarez Navarro
Garbine Murgurza v. Stosur
Azarenka (Kerber) v. Halep

Semifinals
Bencic v. Navarro
Murguza v. Halep

Final
Bencic v. Halep

Champion
Bencic

Biggest Loser
Kvitova

EDIT: Sharapova withdrew, so I adjusted my picks.

Last edited by Forehand_lob (8/31/2015 7:33 am)

8/30/2015 10:57 pm  #3

ATP

Quarters

Djokovic over Nadal
Nishikori over Dimitrov (Chardy)
Murray over Wawrinka
Federer over Gasquet

Semis

Djokovic over Nishikori
Federer over Murray

Final

Federer over Djokovic 6-3,5-7,6-4,6-4

BL: Goffin

WTA

Quarters

Serena over Bencic
Jankovic over Svitolina
Muguruza over Pennetta (Safarova)
Halep over Azarenka

Semis

Serena over Jankovic
Halep over Muguruza

Final

Serena over Halep 6-7, 6-2, 6-2

BL: Bacsinszky

Last edited by funches (8/31/2015 9:41 am)

8/31/2015 9:45 am  #4

Muguruza has not won a set since the Wimbledon semis. Suarez Navarro I believe has lost six consecutive matches. 

Both of us went with Muguruza and you went with Suarez Navarro, too. 

If Federer and Djokovic make the final, I want to see a lot more self-belief from Federer than he showed at Wimbledon. The Djoker is vulnerable, having settled into a defensive mode of "I'll play my game and see if you're good enough to beat me" even though he has the ability to hit winners whenever he wants. I think Federer's best this year has been better than the best of anyone else, and it's been eight years since I've felt that way. 

8/31/2015 6:07 pm  #5

I forgot my rule "success in the Washington DC tournament foretells failure at the US Open" when I picked Nishikori to go deep.

At least I remembered it and didn't pick Sloane Stephens to make the QFs.

In fairness, I did preface my women's picks with "no idea here" so I feel that Suarez Navarro making it 7 in a row is about how I thought I'd do.

9/01/2015 9:23 am  #6

True that.

About five years ago I picked Nalbandian to go far after watching him win Washington. Then another time I picked Dolgopolov to go far after watching him win Washington.

Both lost early in Queens.

9/01/2015 6:09 pm  #7

The other unofficial rule I've learned is "Pospisil does well in one tournament a year."  One year it was the Master's in Canada, the next it was Washington DC.  This year, it was Wimbledon.

9/03/2015 5:16 am  #8

Nishikori and Safarova are our biggest losers.  You'll be getting 2 points for your Bacsinszky pick.

9/04/2015 8:27 pm  #9

Yeah, at least one of my low-rent picks came through. But I didn't expect four players seeded higher than Bacsinszky to lose in the first round. 

9/05/2015 10:31 am  #10

Pardon my delusions, but I'm just wondering, after watching Fognini play three of the best sets of tennis I've ever seen last night, why he can't win the U.S. Open? I know, I know, he's 28, he's never done jack on hard courts (or anywhere else at a slam for that matter), he's a tanker, a crank and no one every comes from nowhere to win a major. And I know Nadal is nowhere near what he used to be, although that was vintage Nadal for the first two-and-a-half sets. 

But Fognini is the fastest player on the tour. He can hit winners from anywhere on the court on his forehand and backhand side. His volleys are excellent, and he is incredibly quick to the net to put away shots in the air when oppoents hit defensive balls. He also is fit, having won five matches in his career from two sets down, so although he may be worn down from the exertion of beating Nadal, it's not a guarantee. 

Lopez is next, which will test Fognini's return the way Rafa didn't. If he gets by that, he faces Djokovic, who got ouptlayed by Nishikori in the semifinals last year. The Fognini I've seen in this tournament (and incredibly, I've seen parts of all three of his matches) exceeds Niskhikori's movement and power. In his otherwise scratchy first round match against Steve Johnson (who I thought would beat him), he won four straight points in the fourth-set TB to go up 5-0, and I'm not kidding, those were the four best consecutive points I've ever seen anyone play in a TB. He hit a screaming running cross court forehand winner for 2-0 after Johnson hit a shot down the line that I thought would be a winner itself. 

Look, I'm not predicting Fognini will win the tournament. He could lose to Lopez tomorrow. 

But if you disregard history and just go by current form and ability, it's not out of the question if Fognini recovers physically from last night's match. A few years ago, I called Li Na winning Roland Garros at the start of the fourth round based on the way she was playing even though nothing from the past indicated she would do it. Two years ago, I called Bartoli winning Wimbledon before the quarterfinals started because of the way she was playing. There weren't any Djokovics or Federers in their way, of course, but in a lifetime of watching tennis, I've never seen better shot-making that what Fognini has produced for significant portions of his first three matches. 

Board footera