Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2014 12:05 pm  #1

2014 Wimbledon Contest: Fred Perry, who?

THE RULES

1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists, finalists, and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and finalist, and 20 points for each correct champion.

2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw

3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lose and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.

BONUS PICKS

1. U-S-A!  U-S-Oh, Forget It, There's Nobody With A Chance: Which round will the last US man make before he loses? Pick the correct choice and you will get 2 bonus points for the round and 2 bonus points for the correct player.

EXTRAS

***Unseeded quarterfinalists are worth an extra half point for every seed they take out en route.

***WTF bonus: if you have a pick that makes it to the quarterfinals that no one else made (not even as a substitute pick), you'll gain an extra 5 points for it.  If there are only two contestants, then the WTF bonus is not in effect.

6/20/2014 10:59 pm  #2

Re: 2014 Wimbledon Contest: Fred Perry, who?

ATP

Quarterfinals

Djokovic over Verdasco
Dimitrov over Murray
Federer over Lopez
Nishikori (sub: Raonic)  over Gasquet

Semifinals

Djokovic over Dimitrov
Federer over Nishikori

Final

Djokovic over Federer 3-6, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2

USA, US-oh: 4th round, Kuznetsov
BL: Nadal

WTA

Quartefinals

Serena over Kerber
Halep over Licicki (sub: Ivanovic)
Radwanska over Wozniak
Li over Venus

Semifinals

Serena over Halep
Li over Venus

Final

Serena over Li 6-1, 6-4

BL: Jankovic

Last edited by funches (6/22/2014 8:45 pm)

6/22/2014 5:55 pm  #3

Gentlemen

QF
Djokovic v. Berdych (sub: Gulbis)
Murray v. Dmitrov
Lopez v. Federer
Nishikori v. Gasquet

SF
Djokovic v. Murray
Federer v. Nishikori

F
Djokovic v. Federer

Champion
Federer

BL: Nadal (I see that we've both given up on him at Wimbledon)
USA: 3rd round, Sam Querrey

Ladies

QF
Bouchard v. Sharapova
Halep v. Lisicki (sub: Ivanovic)
Cibulkova v. Radwanska
Kvitova v. Li

SF
Sharapova v. Lisicki
Cibulkova v. Li

F
Sharapova v. Li

Champion
Sharapova

BL: Jankovic

6/23/2014 10:22 am  #4

For the record, I wasn't looking at your picks when I made mine.  They just turned out similar!

Serena should win, but everytime I pick her, she flames out early.  I'll make the risky pick of ignoring her, though theoretically Bouchard could take her out; Serena seems more vulnerable before the QFs.

There's actually a pretty nice field at the DC tournament this year.  Hope they go deep so I can see them live!

6/25/2014 6:44 am  #5

You have better picks for the quarterfinals than I do. I think I have better picks to win the tournament than you do, but we'll see. 

On another note, I feel like getting Jankovic right as biggest loser is the first time I've ever won that category. I have been beyond terrrible at that, either making a dumb selection, ignoring the obvious one (like Jankovic) or getting unlucky (like with Klizan, who would have had a real chance to knock off Nadal yesterday if he had converted that break point he had at the beginning of the second set). 

6/28/2014 11:40 am  #6

Not that Alison Riske is a world-beater, but that was easily the best match I've seen Maria Sharapova play on grass in about eight years. After going down 3-1 in the first set, she was incredible while running off the next 11 games. No one else is hitting the ball as cleanly as she is at the moment. 

6/29/2014 5:25 am  #7

Forehand_lob wrote:

Serena should win, but everytime I pick her, she flames out early.  I'll make the risky pick of ignoring her, though theoretically Bouchard could take her out; Serena seems more vulnerable before the QFs.

Looks like that my Serena-skepticism paid off.  Though Cornet taking her out instead of Bouchard wasn't something I would have thought would happen, even with Dubai earlier this year.

7/01/2014 9:18 am  #8

Because I really like Lisicki on grass and I get DirectTV, I got up early this morning to watch her match with Shvedova. Never seen anything like it. Lisicki had 20 double faults and only four aces and still won. She had 16 double faults through two sets, and was missing by yards on her second serve even though she was trying to take all the pace off it. She called a timeout down break point early in the third set to have her shoulder worked on, stopped double faulting as much and let Shvedova beat herself. 

It was one of the worst matches I've ever seen, but I still think Lisicki can win the tournament if she fixes the serve. It was a huge weapon for her in the 4th round against Ivanovic, so it's not like she can't find it unless the injury is real.

7/01/2014 1:26 pm  #9

Can I just say the definition of a dream day for me is Sharapova and Nadal losing in big upsets? 

Not that it matters, but we both deserve a few points for picking Rafa as biggest loser. Even though he made it to the fourth round, our sentiments were accurate. 

7/02/2014 9:06 am  #10

To be honest, when Nadal made it to the 4th round, I figured that he'd probably make it to the final.  A combination of making it through those early rounds where the grass was less worn and working himself into form would have made him a very strong pick to the final.

As I write this, Dimitrov is up 2 sets to 0 on Andy Murray.  I know Murray hasn't been playing great this year, but I think that's a pretty big upset.  Bigger than Kerber beating Sharapova, but not nearly as big as Nadal losing to Kyrgios.

I think what's most striking about Nadal's 3 most recent losses at Wimbledon is that they're all to players ranked 100 or worse.

Board footera