Quality Tennis Discussion

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2013 12:20 pm  #1

Who's the next woman to win a career slam?

Sharapova was the last in 2012, and it's surprising, given her limited game.

Out of current slam winners, the obvious candidates (in order of probability) would be Azarenka (hit at least the semis of each slam), Kvitova (her big game can pay off on any surface), and Li Na (QF at Wimbledon, semis or better at all the other slams).

Azarenka has problems getting past Serena.  Kvitova has mental issues.  Li Na has some mental issues combined with getting old.  I suppose that Kuznetsova is a possibility, but she lacks consistency and makes Kvitova look like a pillar of mental strength.

5/29/2014 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Who's the next woman to win a career slam?

I feel pretty confident in saying no current player without a career grand slam will get one. 

This is an incredibly weak era for women's tennis aside from Serena. Azarenka was the only credible contender before she ate and injured herself off the top level. No one else is even remotely as good as Henin or Clijsters. 

9/19/2014 10:47 am  #3

Re: Who's the next woman to win a career slam?

Well, Li Na is out.  I'm disappointed that she's retired, but if she felt the injuries were too much, then it's for the best.

Still kind of astonished that Sharapova is 2 slams away from equalling Henin's number, and only 2 French Opens away from tying the number of Henin's RG crowns.  Hingis wasn't just trash talking when she asked, "What is it about her that's special?"

Board footera